Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Like life, choreography is hard.

Hey y'all!

Since last week, not a whole lot has changed. The kids are continuing to pick up choreography very quickly, and I have been able to really start cleaning some of the numbers already. I’ve also been sitting in on Scott and Lisa’s rehearsals, which both seem to be going well from a third party perspective. Our “coro especial” sounds great on the harmonies, and Scott’s blocking is really inventive. Monday we had a run-through of Act 1, Scene 1 which was a disaster, but now we know what we need to work on. The kids had never sang and danced at the same time before this rehearsal, so needless to say, not a whole lot of singing or dancing happened during either of the production numbers that happen at the beginning of the show. However, from now on we can work on doing both at the same time. I’m only afraid that once they start dancing they will lose their harmonies, but hopefully that won’t happen!

The biggest problem I’ve been facing lately actually has nothing to do with the kids. I’m having choreographer’s block. This happens to me every time I choreograph a show. The first few numbers come out great and diverse, but after the first three or four, I feel like everything starts to look the same. I try really hard to stick with the era of the show for the choreography because it’s just more fun and the music accompanies it better, but now I feel like I’ve used up all of my 1950’s-60’s doo-wop movement. I’m going to try and do more research on different female vocal groups of that style from the era like The Supremes and The Shangri-la’s to get some more inspiration, but as of right now, it’s a bit of a struggly process. Vanessa would tell me, “Life is hard.” I will amend this statement slightly: “Choreography is hard.”

Thanks for following!
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment